Monday, February 15, 2010

Heat Up the Second Semester!

Our battle with the weather and snow in DC is finally over and we are breathing easier. We hope you enjoyed FCCLA Week and had a great time promoting FCCLA throughout your communities. This week we have another installment of adviser advice.

When you started your FCCLA chapter what was the first national program you integrated into the classroom? Why?

Community Service because it can be tied into any class, any topics whether it be: a fundraiser for an organization, having a classroom speaker to inform on a community agency/topic and then having the class brainstorm how to help them, sponsoring a collection of needed items for an agency in the area, visit to a location to see a need in action, or providing ways that individual students or families can provide service to the agency.

Kathleen C. Buchanan, Riverheads High School, Virginia

The first National Program that I incorporated into my classroom was Families First. This national program fits in really well with the Parenting/Child Development units in Family and Consumer Sciences. My students completed projects in class that tied into each of the five units of Families First. My students really enjoyed each of the projects they completed and learned a lot about the importance of family.

Katrina Lewis, Konawa High School, Oklahoma

What is the most important thing you do during the second semester of the school year to build membership?

Membership in second semester is much harder I think. At the beginning of school I get the names of students enrolled in second semester and send them a personal invitation to join during the main membership drive in the fall. At that time I do not know most of those students, but the invitation brings them to the classroom with questions. I use freshman students to help me meet new freshmen that I will not have until second semester.

At the beginning of second semester I use the planned activities for National FCCLA Week to be inviting.

For a few, the promotion of STAR Events participation gets their attention. But of course that is a quick turn around time to get them started.

One way to introduce students to the organization in one day is exploring the state and national webpage with questions that I make.

Kathleen C. Buchanan, Riverheads High School, Virginia

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for some great ideas. I am a new adviser and am struggling with how the whole thing works and getting my students on track with participation.