Monday, March 8, 2010

We’re All In This Together

Mentorship is an important part of FCCLA. Not only do we recommend mentors for officers and members as they develop their leadership skills, but it is also important for advisers to have someone to bounce ideas off of, go to for help, and be a sounding board for the rough times. Of course, we want advisers to celebrate successes together too!

Read the below thoughts from some experienced advisers as they reminisce about the people that helped them become successful today.

I have been very blessed in my career as a FACS teacher and FCCLA adviser to have many wonderful mentors. I think one of the biggest benefits to being a FACS teacher/FCCLA adviser is the tremendous network of support that we have. I have had mentors who have taught me everything from the basics of FCCLA to tips on how to fill out a national program awards application.

One of the best pieces of advice that I got about being a FCCLA adviser is to remember that we can't do it all. It would be very hard to be involved in every national program and every STAR event. Instead I was challenged to participate in the activities and programs that best suit my school and community.

I found this to be great advice and when I am planning out my year I often think back to this advice as I am evaluating what program and activities are most beneficial for my students, school, and community.


Katrina Lewis, Konawa High School, Oklahoma

It has been sooo long since I first started that I really don't remember who my first mentor was. But, the most important thing that I have learned from other advisers is not to try to do it all.

The second most important thing is to adapt to the members you have in any given year. Sometimes you have real go getters and they can take the lead in large projects and just astound you with what they do. And some years the smallest completed project is a victory.

Cathy Kloch, Alliance High School, Nebraska

No comments: