Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Learning by Heart...

by Lori Henry, National Executive Council Adviser, Minnesota
 
         This is the time of year when all of “us” (FCCLA Advisers) are really busy, maybe just a little stressed, and trying to find some “free” time for ourselves.  Amidst all the things going on in our home and school lives, we need to take time to reflect.  As we look back it’s probably easy to pick out the people who have made a positive impact on our lives and the lives of others, just like our FCCLA members.  
It always amazes me the growth I see in my FCCLA members.   It’s such a great feeling to see this shy, timid member, come up and tell you that their STAR event is going well, they are going to run for office or they can’t wait to go and help out in the community.   What has made this member come out of their shell?  It’s you, the local FCCLA adviser!   You’ve taken the extra time to help someone after school.  You’ve helped be there just to listen when something isn’t going to well.  Your few kind words make a big difference to so many members.  
As you take time to reflect, also think about your past members and where they are today.   I have a former student that took all my foods classes, was a region and state FCCLA officer and now is in her second year at the Culinary Arts Institute in Hyde Park, New York.  Every time she writes me or sees me she always tells me of how FCCLA has helped her in so many aspects of her life.  She tells me that if I hadn’t encouraged her to join FCCLA she wouldn’t have had so many wonderful experiences.  I know all of you have similar stories to share. Take this unique opportunity and post your stories.  

No comments: