Thursday, January 3, 2013

This Will Be the Year...


By:  Allison Kreifels, National Consultant Team

I can't begin to tell you how crazy New Years Eve was like when I was little.  Actually, I can tell you.  I was in bed by the same time I normally was and my parents treated it like any other evening.  Even in my college years I was often awoke by calls from my friends wishing me a "Happy New Year" as I drearily told them the same.

As an adult I feel slightly more pressure to set goals to accomplish next year but have yet to really commit any year.  While your story may be slightly like mine or it may be completely the opposite as you set and accomplish personal and professional goals each year, the new year does provide us with a valuable opportunity to think about where we are and where we can go.

In FCCLA, it's no different.  Where are you?  Where can you go?  These questions need to be answered by your members and the New Year provides a great mid-year check for your chapter.  While every chapter is different, here are some things to keep in mind as you set some achievable and valuable resolutions for your FCCLA:

·         * Set a second semester affiliation goal.
·         * Apply for an adult award winner to represent your chapter.
·         * Apply for FCCLA scholarships.
·         * Complete additional National Programs and apply for recognition at the National level.
·         * Make plans to attend your State Leadership Conference.
·         * Begin fundraising for the National Leadership Conference.
·         * Set up procedures for electing officers.
·         * Review bylaws and procedures to begin initiating change for the next school year.

So take on 2013 and set some SMART goals to improve your personal and professional life.  And, don't even think about calling me at midnight!

No comments: