Monday, November 2, 2009

Becoming Involved at School

Last week this blog discussed the importance of starting an advisory board to help maintain a healthy chapter. This week we’re turning the table a bit.
Not only is it important to have others give you the best information about what’s happening outside the school walls, but it’s extremely important for you to become involved and have your voice be heard. No matter what size of school you’re at, there are opportunities to volunteer. Any and all opportunities are great ones to help get you and your program noticed by others. Below is a great example from an adviser at a small school.

“The committee I am currently serving on is the Healthy Schools Committee. The committee addresses issues in and around our school that affect and influence the health and safety of our students. In the spring I will be on the professional development committee that is responsible for planning the professional development days in our districts.” - Lori Grant, OK

Lori Grant is a participant in the Adviser Academy program. For more information about how you can become involved in the Academy and learn additional ways to become involved and boost your chapter’s influence, check the Adviser Academy page on the national website.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

I too have become involved in my high school. I sit on the School Improvment committee which is a district appointed committee. I also particpate in the Technology Committee. I feel that being involved has made me more aware of what happens in my district. Also, on the flip side, it has made them more aware of what happens in my department. It has also allowed me to get to know more staff and have established relationships that we may start cross-teaching classes. Get involved! You will see a world that you never knew existed.